What I do
I help students reach their potential in the classroom or on standardized tests through focused instruction and organizational skills.
Why I do it
Because I LOVE it! My favorite part of being in academia is working with students and seeing them thrive. Whether teaching courses, tutoring, or mentoring undergraduates for thesis projects; engaging young minds is incredibly rewarding.
My teaching and tutoring background:
I began tutoring by helping other students in my high school classes. In college, I worked as a private math and physics tutor with the University of Louisiana's Physics department . I was then hired by the ULL Athletic Department to help fellow student athletes maintain high GPA's and academic eligibility. I managed to do this while also competing for the ULL track and cross country teams as a full scholarship Division 1 athlete. It taught me invaluable time management and organizational skills.
In graduate school I taught undergraduate courses in 'Weather and Climate' and 'The Habitable Planet' in a classroom setting. In 2008 I took a position with the tutoring company 'Atlanta Tutors' where I worked one-on-one with High school and College students preparing students for exams, helping with homework, and lots of SAT, ACT, and GRE math test preparation. Since then I have logged over 5,000+ hours assisting young students in science and math. I balanced my school and work life, with a highly competitive athletic career that continues today.
In 2013, I moved to the beautiful state of Colorado and now call Boulder home. Since this geographical change I have worked with 100's of Colorado High School and College Students. I prefer one-on-one tutoring and enjoy engaging my students with fun and challenging math problems. I like to apply math to real world situations to allow my students to fully understand the relevance and necessity of knowing and using math in their everyday lives.
My high school, college, and graduate experiences make me exceptionally qualified to help you or your student get organized and manage time effectively, while excelling academically.
Selected Awards & Achievements:
- Adirondack Community Trust Scholarship - for academic excellence in high school
- Tuition Opportunity for Students, Excellence scholarship - for academic excellence
- University of Louisiana, Academic Excellence Scholarship, for excellence in math
- Who's Who Among Students in Americas Universities and Colleges, 2004-2005
- Graduate Research Assistantship, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Graduate Research Fellowship, Department of Energy Subsurface Biogeochemical Research Program
Dr. Zaunbrecher's Education Background:
- B.S. Mathematics, University of Louisiana, Lafayette, LA
- B.S. Physics, University of Louisiana, Lafayette, LA
- M.S. Paleoclimatology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
- Ph.D. Geochemistry, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA